Saturday, July 10, 2010

Self-Sustainability



July 10th

For those who don't know, i love the idea of self-sustainability and i believe that there is much success in its principles. This week we traveled to the village of Zirobwe where we stayed for a week building 4 families goat sheds.

The principle behind this is simple. The goat shed houses 2 goats, one male and one female, with the hope of reproducing more goats which can then be sold. If good care is taken of these goats, the goats can provide a guaranteed salary about every 4 months when more baby goats are produced.

This week was one of the most beautiful weeks i've had here. Even though we worked very hard building the goat sheds, even though i stepped in mid-calf deep mud for a full day, even though i lived without running water, any form of a shower, or electricity, even though i hauled jury cans full of water every day, and even though i slept 2 to a mattress in a school house it was worth every inconvenience.

Every night we had a bonfire where most of the village attended. The first night i scooped a little girl up on my lap and about 30 minutes later i noticed that she was sound asleep on the chest. As her head bobbed back and forth in deep sleep, i kept placing her head back on my chest making as minimal movements as possible not to disturb this precious girls sleep. While she was lying there, i couldnt help but think that this was the perfect picture of Christ's love for me. Even when i am dirty and untouchable, Christ scoops me up in his arms and allows me to rest with Him taking my burdens upon Him while He gently keeps my head from falling off His chest allowing me to fully rest in Him. I kept being reminded of one of my favorite songs by David Crowder "Can I Lie Here."
"Can i lie here in your arms, can i lie here in your arms. My only calm is You. Save Me."

We left Zirobwe with 4 goat sheds built, hope instilled into those families, and hope instilled into the community. I left being inspired by these families that we had built for: most of which are either widows with children, or families that took in orphan children out of the goodness of their hearts. I left having a better understanding of the rough conditions of those living in the villages of Uganda having experienced them for myself and that it is really not easy. I left being reminded of the meaning of simplicity and as always i left being humbled: so humbled over the fact that people could live like this being so grateful for something a simple as a goat shed, while i live in America with everything i need and SO much more.

1 John 3:16 "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

My team stomping the mud!

the sweet, sweet widow we build the goat shed for

finished goat shed!

No comments:

Post a Comment