Sunday, May 9, 2010

Safari yangu kwa Uganda ni kuhusu kuanza!

Yesterday, I went downtown to help feed and chat with the homeless. There I met a man named Rick who after an hour long conversation, I learned that he had lost his wife and daughter on June 14, 1990 in a head on collision with a drunk driver, lost his job 10 months ago with the Orlando Sentinel after 14 years of service due to a failing economy and budget cuts, and had his house and car repossessed because he had no job and no funds to pay for them.

What makes Rick any different than me? He at one point in time had a family, good paying job, a house, and a car. With the unfortunate reprecussions of a downturning economy, he lost it all and is out on the streets of Orlando with the only possessions to his name being the clothes on his back and a blanket where he sleeps. Why him?

This could very easily happen to anyone. Rick's life didn't look much different than mine. Maybe he is the same kind of different as me.

Two years ago when I first traveled to Uganda, I witnessed the remarkable joy that the people there had. They had so little, but they had such great joy: a type of joy that can only be explained through the transformational and remarkable love of Christ. Why them?

As i'm preparing to head out to Uganda in 20 days, i've thought alot about what to expect and i've tried to imagine how God is going to drastically shape my life while i'm there and when I return. As i've tried to picture what these things are going to look like i've come to one conclusion: I have no idea what to expect. However, strangely this is ok with me. As I sat talking to Rick yesterday, I realized maybe it's ok not to understand fully why i've lived such a charmed life, while others live on only a dollar a day. Maybe all i'm supposed to understand is that my life has been shaped the way it is, every detail, for a reason. All I know is that I am blessed beyond belief. I may not understand the answers to the questions: Why am i so blessed? Why are they not? But I do know one thing: I am blessed to be a blessing.

Jesus Christ took the sins of the world on His shoulders and died on a cross for all of humanity. He payed the ultimate sacrifice. I'm a sinner in desperate need of the love of a perfect God. I love because He loved me first. Jesus Christ took this broken heart of mine and made it alive. I believe in a big God who can do big things. I have 57 days to experience life in the country of Uganda. I intend to make the most of every opportunity. I intend on challenging myself. I intend on believing that big things can happen. I intend on learning more about myself than I ever thought possible and learning more about the remarkable God I serve each day. I look forward to offering anything i can to the people of Uganda, and in return being impacted by being a part of their lives.

Welcome to my journey.

"He has shown you O man what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment